Saturday, December 18, 2010

Tropical Owls

On my first visit to England, a few of years ago, the boyfriend and I stayed at his sister's old flat for a couple of nights. She and her husband had the most amazing place, situated inside a massive old manor house, it had incredibly tall ceilings and windows, with huge rooms - the place was magnificent. But what caught my eye most of all, was her large golden vintage pineapple that she kept in the kitchen, never have I been so envious of a piece of fruit!!

Since that first sighting, I have developed a bit of an obsession with retro pineapples. In fact, when I went to get my nails done with SLC at WAH in Topshop last spring, they too had a gold pineapple sitting on a shelf to my surprise - sadly they declined my somewhat-generous-for-a-poor-person offer.

On the day of my birthday party this year, my friend Dana popped over early so we could scour local charity shops together. As we wandered through my least favourite of the three chazzers on the main strip, Dana picked up a great set of hand-painted tumblers while I was still left empty-handed. Feeling certain that I wasn't going to find anything to my liking amongst their homeware shelves - I took one last glance, before something spiky and golden hiding in the corner caught my eye. I could hardly contain myself, I GOLDEN FREAKING PINEAPPLE AT LAST!!! I held that thing up in the air like a damn trophy.

It may be a mini version of my first love, but I still love it none the less. Now it sits pretty next to my favourite little owls and I think it makes them feel happy and cool, as if they're hanging out in their own tropical oasis. Yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment